Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dldavis Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Problem with ceiling fan or the remote?
    I have read everything I can find regarding problems with ceiling fans but haven't found an answer to my question. My ceiling fan which I bought 1 1/2 years ago quit working entirely. Unfortunately, I can't find the manual (or the receipt). How do I know whether it's a problem with the remote or with the fan itself, such as the motor? I've read suggestions to "bypass the remote" to check if the fan is working but I have no idea how to do this. If the fan itself is working, I'd rather control it with a pull chain than to buy a new fan and pay to have it installed (I'm a single semi-non-mechanically inclined female). Can someone tell me how I can determine what the problem is and if it's not the fan motor, how to bypass the remote so I can run the fan manually? I live in Galveston, Texas, and it's essential to have a fan most of the year! Thanks in advance. :)
    Donna
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2006, 05:29 PM
    Ok, when you say quit working entirely, you mean neither the fan nor the lights turn on? What happens when you push buttons on the remote? Etc. We need more information, but here are some documents that might help you. One is basic troubleshooting information, the other is specific remote problems:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...ng-and-FAQ.php

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...e-controls.php

Apr 4, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Neither the lights nor the fan will work using the remote. There is not an indicator light on the remote that would show it was working, so I can't tell if it is or not. However, the receiver for the remote is in the attic and is not in the fan casing itself, so it's easily accessible. I just don't know how to wire the fan bypassing the remote control to see if the fan is broken or if the remote is. Thank you for writing.
    DD
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 12:03 PM
    You're on the right track!

Chances are there are 5 wires going to the remote receiver. A black and white from the "house", and a black, white, and blue from the fan. Connect the two whites together, and the black, black, and blue together. This should effectively bypass the remote receiver. To confirm your wiring you can check:

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

The only problem is, if the fan then works, you won't know if the problem was with the remote itself or the receiver. You might want to first try a universal replacement remote.

Apr 4, 2006, 02:20 PM
    Now that is a thought (trying a universal remote)! If I can get one ASAP I will certainly give that a try first. Thank you so much for the simplified wiring instructions to bypass the remote receiver. I did print out the information on the link that you listed, but your suggestions summed it up in simple terms. It's pretty hot here in Texas and a fan is a necessity, and preferable to paying the electric company a small fortune. Thanks again!
    Donna
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 02:31 PM
    If the problem turns out to be the fan, go back to the link for troubleshooting that I gave you.

Lastly, since both the fan and light are not working, it's possible it could be an issue with the wiring to the fan. If you have a voltage tester you might want to check the supply while you're up there disconnecting the receiver.

Apr 4, 2006, 02:34 PM
    Though I'm not certain, I think my handyman told me the wires were 'hot'. It seemed a big coincidence that after he put some flooring down in my attic, the fan quit working but he insists it wasn't anything he'd done while he was working in the attic. I'll be sure to let you know if I can solve the problem! I like to try to do things myself..
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 02:44 PM
    How soon after the work was done did the fan quit working? It sounds like something may have come disconnected, especially as the receiver is supposely mounted in the open in the attic with the connections exposed. This is why connections are supposed to be made inside an electrical box.

Apr 4, 2006, 03:05 PM
    Well, it worked twice after the first handyman finished working in the attic (then took off with my money and never came back). Then I believe it quit working before the 2nd handyman started, so that may not be a possibility after all, but I'm not positive. I'll really have to think about the time line..
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 03:08 PM
    Don't think too hard-- try the things we've discussed. But before you spend any money, that's when we figure out if the handyman is to blame.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Glad you finally remembered about the handyman.

While ceilngfanrepair guy is always there on fans, it is very possible the worker disturbed wiring or junction boxes hidden by insulation, and does not realize it.

Not saying he hit it with screws or nails,which is possible but more there is a junction box, or even the one for the fan itself may have a loose splice.

So if the remote is not in the fan, where is it? In a box in the attic, or laying there with open 120 volt splices? If this is the case, all this wiring needs to be checked and reparied so that all spices are in junction boxes.
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    . . . or laying there with open 120 volt splices?
    This was my thought.. . It's probably mounted right above the fan box, assuming the fan is mounted to a box. Sometimes there isn't room in the fan's canopy for the remote receiver, and so it's mounted above the fan in the ceiling somewhere. Not hard to believe one of the connections would become disturbed with handymen doing various other work in the attic.

Apr 5, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and for explaining how to rewire bypassing the remote receiver. I did this last night and it worked! I may try a universal remote in the near future, but for now, at least I have a working fan. Your help is very much appreciated!
    Donna
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dldavis
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and for explaining how to rewire bypassing the remote receiver. I did this last night and it worked! I may try a universal remote in the near future, but for now, at least I have a working fan. Your help is very much appreciated!
    Donna
    I am glad it's working for you!

But keep in mind, it is possible there is/was no problem with your remote and receiver, and it was just a connection issue that was negated when you bypassed it. Did all wires appear to be firmly connected when you removed it, where any loose or not connected to anything?

Apr 6, 2006, 05:18 PM
    None of the wires seemed loose... and the connected wires were capped, too. I suppose I should find out now whether it's the remote control or the receiver..
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2006, 09:07 PM
    When you bypassed it, did you leave it in the ceiling, or take it down? If it's down you can test it "on the bench" rather than having to put it back up in the ceiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remote [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a Hunter ceiling fan with a Hampton Bay remote. The remote controls the fan correctly. The light works when pulling the chain but does not work from the remote. I wired the blue wire from the remote to the black/white striped wire from the fan. Any suggestions?

Adding remote to ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a hampton Bay ceiling fan. If I install a remote control unit to unit, will it work the way it should or does that unit have to be factory installed? :confused: Patou

Ceiling fan does not work w/ remote [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a variable speed fan(reversible motor) w/ remote, which also has 2 light fixtures. The receiver has two inputs, a black(hot) and a white(neutral), and 4 outputs. One neutral, one black(for the fan), one each for the 2 light fixtures. The problem is when I connect the fan...

Hampton ceiling fan remote problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton ceiling fan that is appox. 5 yrs old. The remote seems not to work. I have to flip the power switch on the wall and hold down a button on the remote to make the fan or lights go on. I tried changing the battery and that doesn't work. I then changed the switch on the wall and that...

View more questions Search