Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindak0305 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 12:46 PM
    "legally" married after seven years?
    If you live with someone for over seven years are you considered "legally" married to that person?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Some states will consider your relationship a "common law" marriage, but not all.
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

Jun 4, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Well I don't think that's how it works
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 02:23 PM
    In all the states that I knew of as having a common law marriage law did away with it quite a few years ago. Check with an attorney in your area or tell us what state you are in.
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Jun 4, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Heterosexual couples can become legally married without a license or ceremony. This type of marriage is a "common law marriage". It was to be believed that, a common law marriage was created when two people simply live together for a certain number of years. In order to have a valid common law marriage, the couple must do all of the following:

1. Live together for a significant period (not defined in any state)
    2. Hold themselves out as a married couple (typically this means using the same last name, referring to the other as "my husband" or "my wife," and filing a joint tax return)
    3. Intend to be married.
    When a common law marriage exists, the spouses receive the same legal treatment given to a formally married couples, up and to include the requirement that they go through a legal divorce to end the marriage.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 4, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Common Law marrieages have been abolished in most all states.

Common Law Marriage FAQ
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Most states do not reconise common law marriage in the US any longer

In at least one
    States to have a common law you have to go to the court clerk and register your common law marriage for it to be reconsied
    Libbers21 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lindak0305
    If you live with someone for over seven years are you considered "legally" married to that person?
    I know in New York... There is no common law marriages but I'm not sure about other states
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Jun 5, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Common law marriage also known as “informal marriage” or in legal terms, “marriage by habit and reputeis", is recognized only in the following states:

Alabama
    Colorado
    District of Columbia
    Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
    Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Montana
    New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
    Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Utah

Each state has different legal aspects to the law that should be examined.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husbands female married "Friend" [ 2 Answers ]

Married over 25 years with children. Husband is involved on a board that meets once a month with other dinners and meetings that can happen between. He found common ideals with another (female married) member of the board, they car pool together, call on cells. Some I knew about and let them...

What does "attempted" mean, legally? [ 10 Answers ]

Several years ago, as part of a plea agreement, I plead to a sex-offense charge prefaced with "attempted". I have been unable to find anyone with even an opinion about whether the word "attempted" affects the actual elements of the post-probationary period. In other words: what stipulations...

How to file "Married filing jointly" when one is on H1B and spouce on F-1? [ 5 Answers ]

Thank you very much for your feedback for the question on social security and medicare taxes not withheld. I have another tax related question I was hoping you could answer too. As I mentioned in the previous question, I am on H1-B (resident for tax purposes), while my wife is on F-1 visa as a...

View more questions Search