Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jocella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2005, 07:56 AM
    Bad Smell in Bedroom - Fishy!!
    My 17 yr old sons bedroom has, for the past 2 months, had an awful smell - like strong fish - which really catches the back of your throat! I know most people will say all boys rooms smell - but this is different! It started two months ago - for no apparent reason. His sisters say it is him - he has a disease or something!! (as sisters do). Seriously - I have washed and hoovered as per usual. Always have to have the window open. It is really weird because sometimes you think oh its going and then the next day you open the door and it hits you full in the face. My son sleeps in another room now as it is so strong. It seems to get stronger some days more than others. So today I have taken every item of clothing, shoes, books, papers etc etc. There is nothing left in the room. The inside and outside of the two wardrobes have been disinfected - the wooden floor has been hoovered and scrubbed - and still there is this awful fish smell. I was even thinking it may be a poltergeist!! Please help!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2005, 10:13 AM
    I'm lol a bit. With 6 kids I've been through oddities like that! :p

Have you given the room a good crawling around and sniffing?

I have to think you're looking for something dead (small animal) or something rotting (food or beverage spill that's soaked in and not easily findable).

Check, especially, the heating vent. How's the smell from there?

Too bad there's not a stink meter that would just beep faster the closer it got to the funk, huh? :p

Back to reality, though. That smell is almost certainly coming from something very localized... so your noses will be the best way to find where it's strongest... then home in on exactly where it is originating.

You've got my curiosity up, so please post back with how it goes.
    Sarah3rdb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2005, 07:42 AM
    The same problem!
    Hi Jocella,
    I have the same problem in my children's bedroom. They have floorboards, not carpet and the smell comes from the corner of the room, where there are some drawers. I have pulled these out, washed down the floor with bleach etc. but still the smell comes back. Like you said, it's not all the time. Sometimes I can't smell it at all and then other times (usually evening) it is absolutely wreaking. It's really puzzling us and I think I'm going to have to pull up the floorboards to see if anything's died under there! We have a damp problem, so I was wondering if it was anything to do with that.
    Jocella, if you've found the cause - please let me know!
    danalou Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Well Jocella, I'm afraid I don't have an answer either... I am in the same boat... my problem is in the garage, we think... the smell has come and gone for about a year and we even get large flies... we have cut a hole in the sheet rock where the odor is coming from and nothing, just flies... we cannot find a leak and don't think it's a dead animal (not after a year). I really need help with this - who do you call for this problem?
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Apr 3, 2006, 10:14 AM
    We had a similar problem which kept going away, eventually discovered that the flex on the ceiling lighting was too sort, and when the light was switched on for any length of time the plastic used to heat up and really smell. As the room in question was only used now and again tool us a while to realise what it was. Your's may not be that but you never know!
    Sarah3rdb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie
    We had a similar problem which kept going away, eventually discovered that the flex on the ceiling lighting was too sort, and when the light was switched on for any lenght of time the plastic used to heat up and really smell. As the room in question was only used now and again tool us a while to realise what it was. Your's may not be that but you never know!
    Yes, Neelie! That was what we found was the problem also. The hard plastic bit, just above the bulb was brown, only we hadn't realised as it was covered by the shade. I would have posted this sooner but couldn't remember the website/forum I had left the message in:rolleyes: . Just got an email to tell me there had been answers. Anyway, horrible, embarrassing fishy smell all gone now!:)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Fond childhood memory:

I'm probably 4-5 yrs old. I have a plate of cut-up hot dogs. I'm in my room.

And out of the corner of my eye I see movement in the hall way. Its my mother.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw movement. It was me.

I was crouched in front of the register vent... one they put in old houses that are on the wall, about the size of a notebook binder, with big holes that are sometimes shaped kind of like a seashell.

She happed by right at the moment to threw a hot dog down the vent.

Well... after a trip to the bathroom (this was where I always had to wait before a spanking) she brought me back into the room to see all she had pulled out of the vent. Paper, the hot dogs, marbles, more paper, hot wheels.

She made me hold the warm (not hot) marble to get me to understand it was hot down there and that could be a problem.

The irony is the whole thing started one day by accident. I was playing with my cars and a green gremlin car accidentally fell into the vent. I way dismayed at losing the car, but thought the sound of it tumblin in was neat. I cannot tell you whether this went on for a day or a week or a year. I had no sense of time.

But I do know that her catching me throwing the hot dog down the vent lead to my getting the green gremlin back.

Don't know if your vents would allow such naughtiness.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 02:30 PM
    man!

once again I've posted to an old question that was brought up into the new posts by another member.
    =P

I'm just never going to get used to looking for the original posting date...
    DIY DAVE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    fond childhood memory:

im probably 4-5 yrs old. i have a plate of cut-up hot dogs. im in my room.

and out of the corner of my eye i see movement in the hall way. its my mother.

out of the corner of her eye she saw movement. it was me.

i was crouched in front of the register vent... one they put in old houses that are on the wall, about the size of a notebook binder, with big holes that are sometimes shaped kinda like a seashell.

she happed by right at the moment to threw a hot dog down the vent.

well... after a trip to the bathroom (this was where i always had to wait before a spanking) she brought me back into the room to see all she had pulled out of the vent. paper, the hot dogs, marbles, more paper, hot wheels.

she made me hold the warm (not hot) marble to get me to understand it was hot down there and that could be a problem.

the irony is the whole thing started one day by accident. i was playing with my cars and a green gremlin car accidently fell into the vent. i way dismayed at losing the car, but thought the sound of it tumblin in was neat. i cannot tell you whether this went on for a day or a week or a year. i had no sense of time.

but i do know that her catching me throwing the hot dog down the vent lead to my getting the green gremlin back.

dunno if your vents would allow such naughtiness.

I got to fishy smell in the bathroom.

And I got to green gremlin.

Well I did have a green gremlin toy car, but I sold it on eBay last year.

Still got the fishy smell though!

Dave.
    joe_4_eva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 05:29 PM
    Hi my name is Joe I am going to be 15 years old next month, there is a bad smell in my room, like really bad! It started when my eight grade year started. When I went to school the first months my feet didn't smell, then after like 3 months my feet smelled so bad, I've been through foot prodducts to eliminate bad smell I just can't seem how to get rid of it, I've been taking vitamin ZINC 50ml,a day, and bathing more than twice a day! I am just sitting at my desk at school and the bad feet odor is there! Like it comes out of my shoes and onto the air, there is no way to stop it! Please help me, I am going to high school this year and I don't want to go through any MOMENTS or be embarrassed in front of my friends!! Please help me if you can, my email is [email protected] pleaase I need so much help!!
    princzatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 08:06 PM
    Hello Joe, y son had very bad smelling feet as well, one day I was watching Dr. Oz and he said to soak your feet in tea. You must boil tea bags and soak your feet in the tea for about 30 minutes for one week. It really works!!
    kimmon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 05:56 AM
    Anyone with a fishy smell in a room should have the electrics checked. This smell is most likely electrical wires heating up. Get it checked ASAP.
    Puffybags Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 06:13 AM
    I came across your post when I was looking for info to find out why my daughter's wooden doll house has a strong fishy smell. I think it's something to do with the glue used to bind together reconstituted wood. Sounds like your problem could be the wardrobes in your son's room.
    jax62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2010, 10:40 PM
    Comment on Neelie's post
    WOW! I just googled foul odour in bedroom came across this sight. I read this reply and checked the bulb in the room. You were right, that's exactly what it was. The entire plastic was burnt! Thank you, the fishy smell is now gone!!
    hunterthompson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 09:41 AM
    Maybe it's the mattress he's been sleeping on. Have you looked into waterbeds? They tend to be less musty than the standard mattresses.
    Lorenzo5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 10:37 AM
    I am personally in the same boat.And after I done some research, the answer is " it is a spirit..a really bad one".. You will notice that sometimes the smell moves around in the house. Just trust me
    monster64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 11:44 AM
    Hope she has been taking showers, my sister has a shower issue and claims she takes one every day. Her laundry smells, she smells, the carpet has taken the same odor and she thinks that she is not the blame and says she takes baths every day... for your issue, if it was a dead animal, it could be in the wall. See if flies are hanging out in certain areas in the room. That would detect a dead animal. Other wise check the laundry. Don't assume until you can sniff your way to the problem. Good luck, I also need it.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2011, 07:34 AM

Thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fishy smell in bathroom lighting [ 14 Answers ]

OK, what can it be... we have read many sites that suggest that it is the electrical lighting in bathroom... even electrician is stumped... help...

The Bedroom [ 15 Answers ]

I have been with my wife for nine years this month we will see our fifth wedding anniversary. We have two fantastic kids and are very happy and I believe still deeply in love with each other... However just lately the only time we make love is when my wife has been out and under the influence...

Odd things happening/fishy smells [ 21 Answers ]

I have been having some odd experiences lately and would like some possible answers. First, about my house. My house is only 16 years old, with only 2 previous owners. They were 2 families, and no one ever died in the house or in any of the houses in my neighborhood. About 2 years ago, strange...

Fishy Smell In Bedroom! [ 2 Answers ]

I suffered from this ailment as of recently and couldn't figure out the culprate it always appeared in different area's of the room and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally found the problem, we had a 100W bulb in a 60W socket, and it was burning/melting the base of the ikea lamp we...

Damp Smell in Bedroom [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, all. On one side of my son's 2nd floor bedroom, a musty smell will become noticeable every time we close his door more than 1/2 way for more than 10-15 minutes. This has been happening since we moved in 2 months ago. It does not coincide to rain and comes back after you air out the room. ...

View more questions Search