Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jun 1, 2008, 02:20 AM
    Double kitchen sink w/garbage disposal and dishwasher
    Installed new counter and sink several years ago. Problem is that when I put the stopper in one side and fill with water the garbage disposal side drains VERY slow. The never was an air gap installed. It drains into the garbage disposal.. no problem there. The sink is deeper than the old one.
    There are no clogs. It's only happens when I put the stopper in to wash dishes.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 1, 2008, 05:58 AM
    The reason for that is that the garbage disposal's venting through the continuous waste from the other tub. When you put the stopper in you have cut out the vent. Do you hear any gurgling as the sink's draining slow? The solution would be to snake the kitchen roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 15 feet more.
    The never was an air gap installed.
    That's simply not so. In place of a counter top air gap,(which can clog up and flood the counter) you have a high loop air gap,(see image) installed under the counter. This air gap is more trouble free then a counter top air gap.
    Good luck, Tom

Jun 1, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    The reason for that is that the garbage disposal's venting through the continuous waste from the other tub. When you put the stopper in you have cut out the vent. Do you hear any gurgling as the sink's draining slow? The solution would be to snake the kitchen roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 15 feet more.
    That's simply not so. In place of a counter top air gap,(which can clog up and flood the counter) you have a high loop air gap,(see image) installed under the counter. This air gap is more trouble free then a counter top air gap.
    Good luck, Tom
    The setup is the same as before I removed the other sink and it didn't do it before. I regularly snake out my roof vents and the problem still exists. It's been this way for about 5 years. I't just annoying.
    I just adjusted the high loop air gap hose and it's much better. Always wondered why that hose was so long. Sure glad I didn't cut it off!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 1, 2008, 03:16 PM
    The reason for that is that the garbage disposal's venting through the continuous waste from the other tub. When you put the stopper in you have cut out the vent.
    I still say that's the reason it's draining so slow. After thinking it over you are correct. I don't think the kitchen vent's clogged. As a r4ule when we install a disposal we come off the stubout with a wye and trap both tubs. The way you talk you have one trap with a countinous waste, correct? If this is so you are configured for a sink without a disposal. Nowc this doesn't hurt things a bit. But if it bothers you cut out the present trap set up and run a trap to each tub. Your choice. Good luck, Tom

Jun 1, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    I still say that's the reason it's draining so slow. After thinking it over you are correct. I don't think the kitchen vent's clogged. As a r4ule when we install a disposal we come off the stubout with a wye and trap both tubs. The way you talk you have one trap with a countinous waste, correct? If this is so you are configured for a sink without a disposal. Nowc this doesn't hurt things a bit. But if it bothers you cut out the present trap set up and run a trap to each tub. Your choice. Good luck, Tom
    Here are some pictures of the setup. I did it the way it was before I remodeled. So do I cut the stubout - install a wye- and the treat each sink as a single sink? Also the is a capped off copper line coming out of the wall. Was this for the dishwasher? I wanted to put a valve on it and use it for a drinking water filtration system but if it's hot water then I'll try one of those instant hot water things.Name:  kitchen drain setup.jpg
Views: 85048
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  kitchen drain setup2.jpg
Views: 119086
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  extra copper line.jpg
Views: 25877
Size:  42.1 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New double sink, disposal, dishwasher - old drain pipe location too high? [ 8 Answers ]

This seems like the place to go! I've spent hours reading the posts but can't quite seem to find my exact situation. We are completely remodeling our kitchen and just installed the new double bowl cast iron sink, garbage disposal and dishwasher. All of the information we've been reading, including...

Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal [ 13 Answers ]

I am about to install a new dishwasher and garbage disposal. All of the instructions I can find on the internet indicate that the waste hose from the dishwasher attaches to the garbage disposal, and that the waste hose from the garbage disposal then attaches to the house's waste drainage...

Does Kitchen Sink Sprayer Go On Same Side As Garbage Disposal? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a double bowl kitchen sink. Does the sprayer go on same bowl as the garbage disposal or on the opposite bowl?

Kitchen sink/disposal/dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I have an aunt who lives in Florida that has a garbage disposal and a dishwasher. She says she doesn't use the disposal, but it has been used in the past(about 2 or three years ago by previous owners) She is getting a bad smell in her dishwasher. Can you tell me what would be causing it?

View more questions Search