Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vette100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Installing a shower trap in the basement
    Hello,

This is my first post.

When I purchase my house a full bath was roughed into the basement.

I am in the process of installing a shower base in my basement.

The builder roughed in the shower as follows
    - 6 inch PVC pipe straight into the concete
    - inside the center of the 6 inch pipe is a 2 1/2 inch PVC drain pipe for the shower
    - the 2 1/4 drain pipe is connected to a 4 inch 90 about 3 feet down into the concrete.

Based on what I see there is no trap for the shower. I assume the purpose of the 6 inch pipe that surrounds the 2 1/2 drain is to give enough room to install a trap.

Because the 2 1/2 drain pipe runs vertical I am assuming I need to install a S-trap. Put I don't think I have enough room.

Can anyone give me some advice on the proper way to install the trap. Are there any other types of traps I should be using? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2006, 11:58 AM
    "The 2 1/4 drain pipe is connected to a 4 inch 90 about 3 feet down into the concrete. Because the 2 1/2 drain pipe runs vertical I am assuming I need to install a S-trap. Put I don't think I have enough room"

First off, "S" traps are outlawed. Are you sure he didn't leave you a vent? If what you're telling me is that the plumber rolled up a 4 X 2 fitting on its back and a 2" raiser is brought up to floor level then you should call the builder back and have him contact the plumbing contractor and have them send a man out at their expense to do the job right. The way you discribe the fittings there's no way they can be used to hook up either a shower or a tub. If the 2" pipe were horizontal instead of vertical you would have a chance to install a "P" trap but the way it sets the floor will have to come up and the 4" fitting cut out and the entire shower rough-in will have to be redone. Good luck and keep me informed. Tom
    vette100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Thanks for your help. I am going to call the builder.

Thanks again. Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing new shower in basement, no drain [ 4 Answers ]

We are going to put a corner shower stall in our basement bathroom which currently only has a sink and a toilet. There is no drain where we want to put the shower. Do we have to break up the concrete and put a drain in the floor and then run pipes over to the toilet or sink drain, or is there any...

Installing a Basement Shower Stall [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a finished basement. There is an old double porcelain sink and on the opposite wall a toilet which is in front of the old cast iron lead joined main drain. I would like to install a sink and shower in the bathroom. I had a plumber look at it and he...

Installing shower in unfinished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm beginning a project to add a basement bathroom in our house. The house is only two years old and the basement is unfinished with concrete slab. The builder roughed in a drain for the toilet, sink and also the shower. My question is about the shower drain. Currently it is a 2" pvc pipe...

Installing a shower base in the basement [ 17 Answers ]

We bought a home that already had a sewage pump installed in the basement with three drains already installed in the concrete floor that leads to this pump's tank. One was for a toilet (which is covered), another is for a sink (which at present is in use) and the third is a drain pipe (rubber...

Installing a basement shower(?) [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a home that already had a sewage pump installed in the basement with three drains already installed in the concrete floor that leads to this pump's tank. One was for a toilet (which is covered), another is for a sink (which at present is in use) and the third is a drain pipe (rubber...

View more questions Search