Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nascar2018 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Breaker keeps kicking out on water heater
    We recently had our main water line replaced. Since then our water heater starting leaking at the overflow pipe. We changed out the prv and the leak stopped but now the breaker keeps kicking out when we try to heat the water. Our tank is about 3 years old and the we have the temperature set about 120-125 degrees. Do you think we could have too much water pressure coming into the house or could it be a heating element? Any help would be appreciated. It's an electric hot water heater.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 28, 2008, 07:30 AM
    I would turn off power to water heater, remove the front cover(s), look for moisture, the leak may have gotten water into insulation.
    High pressure will not cause breaker to trip.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 28, 2008, 07:42 AM
    To add to Strats answer a shorted element will pop the breaker also. Check the bottom one first. Good luck Tom
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 28, 2008, 07:50 AM
    To add to Speedsballs good info, with power off, disconnect element and cap wires restore power, see if it trips.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 28, 2008, 08:07 AM
    To add to Strats explation, which I should have included in my post, MY BAD! There's another breaker located in the top thermostat. It's a red button and if it's popped out it too is thrown and will have to be reset before power will get to the elements. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

I have a State Select hot water heater and the circuit breaker keeps popping I can reset it and it works for about a day, any idea what may be causing the issue

Hotwater heater keeps needing breaker on the heater reset? [ 6 Answers ]

Hotwater heater keeps needing breaker on the heater reset? About every 4 or 5 days I have to go hit the red button on the heater and reset it. Its electric. Its only 2 years old and nevr has any problems so far. What gives?? TIA

Water heater wiring into breaker panel [ 3 Answers ]

How do you wire a 220 2-wire electric water heater into a breaker panel?

Water Heater; Breaker Wiring? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I'm installing a new electric water heater. All plumbed and wired to the heater. Just picked up a new 30amp breaker, ready to put in the panel. 10/2 wire…At the tank; red to white, black to black, green grounded. My question is about wires to the breaker? Green is easy that’s the...

Water pump not kicking off [ 12 Answers ]

I have a submersable pump water system. It has worked fine ever since I've had it (4 years), but lately the pump wants to keep runnning and can not build up much pressure. The pressure gets to about 30 psi, then won't go any higher. And the pump just keeps on pumping, trying to get the pressure...

View more questions Search