Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MPC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 05:41 PM
    Kitchen sink backup
    Kitchen sink was backing up. Called plumber and he snaked the line. Didn't work. Replaced a Studer vent that is under the sink (only a year old) and that didn't work. When he manually opens the Studer vent, the water drains out fast. He tired 2 vents. Problem still not solved.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2006, 07:44 AM
    While Studor vents are good it sounds like the vent isn't opening up enough to vent the sink and if he's replacing with the same vent the same problem will persist.
    Oatey has vents that address this problem. Check them out at, http://www.oatey.com/aav_public/why_vent.html
    I would switch to the correct size of a Oatey Vent and see if that doesn't solve the problem. Regards, Tom
    MPC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2006, 08:44 AM
    The plumber tried another vent and I believe it was the one you mentioned. The previous STuder vent worked for 5 yrs before it was replaced last year. It was suggested I may have to have a vent run outside and up the side of house. Why would previous vent work and then all of a sudden not work?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MPC
    The plumber tried another vent and I believe it was the one you mentioned. The previous STuder vent worked for 5 yrs before it was replaced last year. It was suggested I may have to have a vent run outside and up the side of house. Why would previous vent work and then all of a sudden not work?
    You ask good questions. Why weren't they answered by your plumber? I have a question of my own. Why do you have a mechanical vent on your sink instead of a VTR, (vent through roof)? Is this a older home?
    Let's use some common sense here. A mechanical spring loaded vent works by vacume. The discharge coming out of the trap sets up a small vacume. This vacume pulls against a flap sealing off the vent and held in place by tension from the spring. When the vacume becomes stronger then the tension from the spring the flap pulls down opening up the vent until the vacume's gone and it closes up again.
    You ask, "The previous STuder vent worked for 5 yrs before it was replaced last year. Why would the previous vent work and then all of a sudden not work?"
    There's really only one thing that's changed here and that's the vacume needed to overcome the springs tension. Where did the vacume go? How do we get it back? About the only thing that would cause a loss of the vacume needed to activate the AAV, (air admittance vent) would be if the discharge wasn't draining fast enough to set up a vacume strong enough to open up the vent.
    Now I don't know about your plumber but to me that indicates a partional blockage in the lateral drain, ( the horizontal drain in the wall) or the drain to the house main slowing down the flow so it doesn't produce the vacume needed to activate the vents flap.

"It was suggested I may have to have a vent run outside and up the side of house."
    If the problem can not be solved any other way that may be all that's left. However, I'm from the old school of plumbers that believe that if a item ever worked right to began with it should be able to be repaired back to its original working order. Please keep me in the loop and let me know what's happening.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water backup under kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have got a leak that is under my kitchen sink and seems to be under the floor. When I drain water it goes down the drain and then it bubbles up from under the floor under my sink and out onto my kitchen floor. It smells really bad. I had a plumber come out about a year ago to...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Basement drain backup after Kitchen sink did [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! This evening, my kitchen sink backed up... which I used liquid plumber to unlcog it and it worked... then when I went into the basement, the drain in the wash room was backed up with stuff all over the place. I have a plumber on the way. My brother tells me that it is most likely the tree...

Sewer backup in Kitchen Sink [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday I heard a rumbling in the kitchen and some clear sewage backed up in the sink with a horrible smell. This happened twice and went away. After some usage the sink clogged up. The plunger worked and cleared it. But then it clogged up again immediately. I tried plunging again and a lot of...

Sink Drain backup [ 1 Answers ]

After cooking, I put spaghetti noodles and shrimp in the garbage disposal to dispose of the noodles and shrimp. The noodles and shrimp disappeared in the garbage disposal, but now I have a water backup. I have water in my sink and the water will not go down the drain. I assume there is something...

View more questions Search