Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Creehan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 04:23 AM
    240 Volt 3 Wire Service to 4-Wire Receptical
    I am replacing an electrical stove with a new electrical range. The old stove was hard wired with a 3-wire service. I assume 2 hot and a ground). The new range requires a 4-wire receptical (I assume 2 hot, neutral & ground). Can I wire the 3-wire service to the 4-wire receptical? (How do I do this?) or do I need to re-wire the house with a 4-wire service from the main box?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 26, 2008, 04:33 AM
    An old 3-wire circuit CAN be used for a new appliance. The hook up is based on the CIRCUIT, NOT the cord on the appliance.
    That said, you would have to install a 3-wire receptacle on the wire and replace the cord with a 3-wire. This is legal, but not suggested.
    Your BEST bet is to run a new 4-wire circuit to this range.
    margos22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Mar 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
    4-wire appliance is a black, red, green & white. House wire is black, white, and bare copper. Connect black to black. Connect red to white on house wire. Connect green and white of appliance to bare copper house wire. In this case the ground and common are the same.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
    margos22, please check the dates of the posts you are replying to.
    kunkfu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 02:27 AM
    stanfortyman you're 100 percent correct in your response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search