Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamlet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Calibrating an Airguide auto compass
    I have an Airguide compass for my car but have lost the instructions. How do you set it up. It is the basic model with suction cups and a round globe on a square base
    tim53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 05:14 AM
    I have a airguide compass model 88B. Need to know how to calibrate? What all the parts are? Where to find parts?
    tim53
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

May 23, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Don't know if this will help but it is worth a try. I had a Laser that when it needed calibration you needed to turn the wheel all the way to the right and do 4 complete circles. This calibrated it.
    earlehartshorn Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2008, 06:06 PM
    * ADJUSTING THE COMPASS
    DO NOT USE STEEL SCREWDRIVER (THIS WILL AFFECT THE COMPASS MAGNETS) USE A DIME TO TURN REGULATOR SCREWS

* 1. Head North. Turn the regulator marked NS, very slowly, until the dial reads either N or S.
    * 2. Head East. Turn the regulator marked EW, slowly, until the dial reads E.
    * 3. Head South. If the compass does not read exactly on "S" -- Then turn the NS regulator just enough to remove only one-half of error.
    * 4. Head West. Turn EW regulator just enough to remove only one-half of the error. Follow the same procedure as in step 3.
    DanGit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Comment on earlehartshorn's post
    Yup, this is correct
    bernard r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 01:27 PM
    I have a airguide digiguide 2000. I have lost the instructions
    OllieM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 07:06 AM
    Lost my instructions too and had to put in a new battery thus need to calibrate... but can't locate anyone to tell me how... and no success in finding the company that made it. Are they still in the compass business?
    shagster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 08:32 AM
    Comment on earlehartshorn's post
    This would be the correct procedure for a really old car compass, right? I have an 'Airguide' compass that my great granddad bought back in the early 60's, that compass is as old if not older than I am, it has been through at least 8 vehicles.
    CarCharMom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2018, 04:29 PM
    I’d like to add a note about the battery for the lighted compass. Without the instructions, I’d have done it wrong and the compass wouldn’t work. Neither would the light!

Do NOT use alkaline battery! It will affect the compass magnet and you’ll never get it adjusted.

You must use a carbon zinc battery, available online. Mine were on eBay. Eveready Heavy duty, with the cat jumping through a “9” on them, like back in the day!

Per the instructions, you must gently cut about 1/16th inch of the paper away at the Positive end of your battery. The battery case is Ground and must be exposed to the spring.

Assemble the light in its plastic tube like this:
    Gently slide the spring over the base of the bulb. Put the positive end of your battery in the other end of the spring, being sure spring contacts the battery case where you removed the paper.
    Slip the bulb/spring/battery assembly into the clear plastIc tube and then put the tube in The compass, bulb will protrude at the front of the compass.
    Replace the square black end piece onto the back of the compass.
    Gently press the bulb to turn the light on!

The replacemnt bulb is a number 112, also available online. Some older penlites use it, as well as some lighted magnifiers.

When I bought my Airguide, I saw many reviews where the user guesses it was defective and threw it out. Again, had I not had the instructions sheet, I’d have never known about the carbon zinc battery and removing the paper!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Airguide barometer [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an Airguide Instrument Company barometer with temperature and humidity dials on it at an auction. I was wondering how to set the barometer and if there are any instruction manuals for this. I also was wondering how to read the barometer.

Auto or ON? [ 11 Answers ]

I just purchased my first home and have a question about my brand new furnace. Is it more efficient to run the heat/cool on AUTO or ON? It's a brand new Ducane gas furnace. I have it on auto now... and living in New England it is constantly flipping on/off. Not sure if that is more efficient or if...

Airguide Barometer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 40's vintage Airguide Barometer with a broken face glass. I am looking for a replacement glass the glass is 4 3/4 inches in diameter. Any suggestions where I might look for a replacement.

Airguide Barometer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Airguide Barometer with humidity and temperature indicators as well. The Barometer looks like 60's era equipment. It is an indoor unit wood frame, glass front w/dial indicators and I keep it in the living room. The Barometer reading was 26.5 but online the weather statistics indicated...

View more questions Search