Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gfmotz Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Salary but paycheck looks like hourly
    I was recently promoted to a management position and put on salary. My concern is that my paycheck looks the same as it did when I worked hourly. It has 80 hours for two weeks at 16.00 per hour, but I don't punch in/out. Is this how a salary paycheck should look? I'm concerned because that may effect how my resume is formatted, and we all know that a properly formatted resume is important. I always thought salary was measured in how much per year, not per hour.

I work in Pennsylvania
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 08:10 AM
    This is not at all unusual - even though you are paid an annual salary the paycheck may indeed record your standard hours worked, as well as hours for vacation and sick time taken. The important question is: did you get a raise with this promotion, and if you multiply the $16/hour by 2080 hours/year does the math work out right?
    Gfmotz Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Well when I was promoted I was told I was salaried but I never got a yearly number. The only number I got was the 16 per hour. Should I have received a number for what I make per year?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 01:19 PM
    You are confused about the situation, Salary is a term for what should be called an exempt employee, it is based actually not on how you are paid, but on the actual job requirements and if that job meets the requirements for a exempt position.

Next no your paycheck looks exactly like it always does in 90 percent of all companies because computer payroll systems ( that writes the checks) are based on hours per week time money. In the case of salary people, the issue is you don't record your hours, and the number of hours don't change,

It may show vaction days, holidays on a separate line like it always did, since those types of benefits are normally tracked differently in computer.
    And esp to people who were never salary before, many companiies explain it in hourly ( since it normally sounds like more if you were used to other hourly pay) of course they forget to tell you that working 90 or 100 hours during that 80 hout period is not unusual in most places also.

Your yearly is 33280 If you were used to asking yearly, most likely they would have disucssed it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Truck driver Lives paycheck to paycheck, do you relate? [ 9 Answers ]

I am an over the road truck driver now and I Live check to check, bad credit, No savings. Overwhelming bills with constant calls you avoid, rent, insurance,mouths to feed,past due on owed taxes, past due car tabs, car payment that has upside down loan, so I cannot sell the car.. I pay most...

No Paycheck! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my husband works for a railroad contractor. His boss is refusing to pay him this weeks paycheck until next week because they said his time sheet was not in "his folder". After hearing this he went and found his time sheet in another employees folder whose time sheet had been picked up. He told...

Average carsalesman salary [ 1 Answers ]

What is the average amount of money someone could make selling an new or used car?

View more questions Search