Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Magen Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Sinus Infection in the Brain
    My mom was in the hospital about a year ago, with a Sinus Infection that reached her brain. She was there for a week, and they gave her two weeks worth of antibiotics, and told her to go see her neurologist. Problem is, that 2 years ago, she lost her job after being there for 12 years(corporate america), and has no Insurance. She had really messed up her motor skills (reading, speech, focusing), she has slowly but surely gotten better, she can read, with a paper under her sentence, and her speech, is 100%, her focus not so much, and her memory either. Its not horrible, but sometimes she forgets what she was going to say, and she loses her train of thought. She is fairly young (53yrs old), and before this year she was perfectly fine. The doctors at the hospital diagnosed her with "Pansinusitus". Ive tried researching it online, and there isn't much information about it, at all. At the hospital they said it's a sinus infection that was never properly taken care of, and many years later developed into this.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of this (many people find my mom's case extremely interesting, they've never heard of this happening to someone)? And, is there any form of "physical therapy" she can do? We're dying for her to see a Neurologist, but until she is able to work, she won't get insurance (we can't afford it, we barely make it each month).

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Yes, infections can travel. Pansinusitus, though, has nothing to do with the brain. It sounds like she had multiple issues that you might be mixing up this many years later. I can only suggest that you seek out whatever care she is eligible for in her current financial status. I would start with the County offices where you live.
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Jan 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Your Mom should be eligible for disability. You need to go to your county's assistant office and apply for it for her as soon as possiblel
    Magen Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Taukame
    Your Mom should be eligible for disability. You need to go to your county's assistant office and apply for it for her as soon as possiblel
    Why asap?
    shile07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2007, 07:19 PM
    I know this question was submitted a while back, but just to note, my sister's husband's cousin was hospitalized the other day for an untreated sinus infection. The infection did spread to her brain and she died at 12:00 this afternoon. So dying or becoming gravely ill from a sinus infection can, and in this case, did happen. I just happened to be on line looking up information on this when my sister called to tell me that the cousin passed away. I saw this question posted and thought I should respond.
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 2, 2008, 07:15 PM
    I hope someone out there is reading this: My beloved aunt is in the process of being transferred to a bigger hospital tonight for treatment of a sinus infection that has gone into her brain - I am scared to death. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what to expect and what the prognosis is? Thank you
    Tammy45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magen
    My mom was in the hospital about a year ago, with a Sinus Infection that reached her brain. She was there for a week, and they gave her two weeks worth of antibiotics, and told her to go see her neurologist. Problem is, that 2 years ago, she lost her job after being there for 12 years(corporate america), and has no Insurance. She had really messed up her motor skills (reading, speach, focusing), she has slowly but surely gotten better, she can read, with a paper under her sentence, and her speech, is 100%, her focus not so much, and her memory either. Its not horrible, but sometimes she forgets what she was going to say, and she loses her train of thought. She is fairly young (53yrs old), and before this year she was perfectly fine. The doctors at the hospital diagnosed her with "Pansinusitus". Ive tried researching it online, and there isnt much information about it, at all. At the hospital they said its a sinus infection that was never properly taken care of, and many years later developed into this.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of this (many people find my mom's case extremely interesting, they've never heard of this happening to someone)?? And, is there any form of "physical therapy" she can do? We're dying for her to see a Neurologist, but until she is able to work, she wont get insurance (we can't afford it, we barely make it each month).

Thank you!
    My 15 year old brother got life flighted to Blank Childrens's Hospital and is in there right now getting a sinus infection spread to the brain. The surgeron, doctors, and nurses were VERY surprised he is alive. After his surgery they told us that he was probably not going to make it. But he did. A week later he looks 50 times better than he did! It's a miracle. Right now he is doing therapy at the hospital. There are doing Physical, Speech, Occupational, and maybe some more. The doctors said it was a very rare condition of a sinus infection and they do not know how you get it or anything about it.
    spirit1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 09:40 AM
    I'm not a Doctor, but I swear to do good and do no harm! I have lost confidence in our western medical system for many many reasons. I believe we need to be our own doctor in many such cases.Now don't get me wrong,If I were in a car accident and was injured I would want a qualified physician to access and tend to my injuries. That being said, If problems arise that get diagnosed and treated with prescriptions, That's when I search for alternative solutions. Western Medicine is fairly new,and for thousands of years we have lived without prescriptions and needless surgeries. What is the CAUSE of this problem, and what can be done to alleviate and prevent this problem from occurring to ourselves or anyone else again. When a Doctor tells you that the Cause is unknown, He is WRONG, because he doesn't know the whole you, He doesn't know your Lifestyle, your Stressors, what you eat,drink,hear, touch and breath. OK, Now you can find and KNOW what is causing this problem yourself and try to change these factors or causes. To Thine Own Self Be True,Trust in the Answers that come from Yourself. Stop worrying and thinking that someone else is able to help you, Only you can really help you, so get going and find the CURE yourself. This Question and Answer site is a great start because it means you are looking to discern for yourself and not to just take the Opinion of some Doctor who you don't really Trust yourself and do find a DOCTOR who shows genuine concern for your wellbeing, If you can!
    crazybaby71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magen
    My mom was in the hospital about a year ago, with a Sinus Infection that reached her brain. She was there for a week, and they gave her two weeks worth of antibiotics, and told her to go see her neurologist. Problem is, that 2 years ago, she lost her job after being there for 12 years(corporate america), and has no Insurance. She had really messed up her motor skills (reading, speach, focusing), she has slowly but surely gotten better, she can read, with a paper under her sentence, and her speech, is 100%, her focus not so much, and her memory either. Its not horrible, but sometimes she forgets what she was going to say, and she loses her train of thought. She is fairly young (53yrs old), and before this year she was perfectly fine. The doctors at the hospital diagnosed her with "Pansinusitus". Ive tried researching it online, and there isnt much information about it, at all. At the hospital they said its a sinus infection that was never properly taken care of, and many years later developed into this.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of this (many people find my mom's case extremely interesting, they've never heard of this happening to someone)?? And, is there any form of "physical therapy" she can do? We're dying for her to see a Neurologist, but until she is able to work, she wont get insurance (we can't afford it, we barely make it each month).

Thank you!

My husband was released from the hospital 3 days ago from the same thing. The day I called the ambulance for him he was lethargic. He had recently seen the doctor a couple times for a sinus infection. They quickly transported him to a bigger, more skilled hospital in our area where he underwent emergency surgery to drain the infection from his brain. They didn't know if he would make it. He still can't say very many words and gets very frustrated when we have a hard time understanding what he wants. He has Physical Therapy and since the part of the brain affected involves fine motor skills and speech he is also going through Speech and Occupational Therapies. The doctors said that the infection from the abscessed tooth he had for quite some time spread into his sinuses and straight to his brain. My husband knew he should go to the dentist but couldn't stand the thought of a shot. The neurologist told me that it is not a common thing to hear about but they do see their fair share of this type of thing. Luckily he wasn't seizing yet when I had called the paramedics. They said when that starts, your chances are a lot slimmer. He will have at least a couple more months of therapy, meds. He will also have CT scans on a regular basis over the next several months to make sure the swelling on his brain is going down and the infection doesn't come back.
    Winelovers Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Can anyone tell me how long these sinus infections went untreated before this happens? I think my husband has had one for over 9 months and we didn't know...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brain damage from chokes [ 12 Answers ]

Me and my friend was playing around in school, practicing jujitsu, a form of ground submission where chokes and joint locks are used until someone taps. I been choked many times however, I taped when I felt that I'm going to pass out and had never been put unconscious. I have seen from some...

The Hard Drive vs. The Brain [ 8 Answers ]

Just interested in some thoughts here. I am sure that most of us are aware of the way we refer to the amount of information that a hard drive can store. Bytes Of course, it is the Gigabyte we use most frequently now days. It is not uncommon to find a computer that has a capacity of 200 to...

Sinus and respiratory problems [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. Me and a buddy moved into a semi-detached townhouse about five months ago. Since then, we have both been getting sick very frequently. Mostly it's sinus and respiratory problems but we have also experienced flu-like symptoms a few times. We suspect it is because of the...

Allergy and sinus relief? [ 2 Answers ]

Without pills or nasal sprays?

Algebra Help Please-Racking the Brain! [ 2 Answers ]

:( If anyone knows how to set this up and explain to me I would be so grateful. 2/3(y-3) = 1/3y I know to remove the parenthesis, I multiply 2/3 x 3 (which is 2) so: 2/3y - 2 = 1/3y Now I know I must combine the y's and change the sign to positive AND THAT IS WHERE I GET STUCK

View more questions Search