Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgfasick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 02:43 PM
    What size headers for interior load-bearing walls?
    I would like to cut out a large part of an interior laod-bearing wall that currently separates the kitchen from the dining/living areas. The section of wall I would like to renovate is about seven feet long, and I would expect to frame it with a stud and double jack studs at each side of this opening. Te kitchen currently has a 1-ft soffit above the existing cabinets, and the header would be on the outside of that soffit, so I can accommodate 2x12 dimension lumber. What size/material header do I need?
    estrellasjules Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
    I would usually use doubled up 2 x 12's glued, bolted and predrilled so the head of the bolt and nut are recessed in the wood. They should also sell premade trusses for this use.Be sure to support the ceiling during demo and locate placment of metal columns before beginning (could be in your opening).
    dkh0331 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 01:08 PM
    I had a six foot span and sandwiched 3/4" plywood with 2x12's - glued and screwed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Load bearing walls [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 29 foot load bearing wall. I am going to leave 4 ft. then tear down a 7ft section and then will have 18 ft still standing. Will the wall still stand or do I need to support it somehow? Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Free spanning a load bearing interior wall [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what size of lumber to use to free span acrss 16'6". It is an interior wall inside a new shop for a loft

Load Bearing Walls [ 1 Answers ]

I am confused about what are the joist and not the joists in my basement. It is a 100 year old house. I have one main bean that runs front to back (supported by columns- the kind with a large cement bottom you might see when building a deck, the term is escaping me at this moment- in basement)...

Max pipe size in load bearing walls [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2" line stubbed for a drain in an area of a 15' basement that will be framed 8' high with the rest used for storage above. Are these walls now considered load bearing? What's the maximum size pipe I can run through a load bearing 2x4 wall assuming I'm using a protective plate.

Load bearing walls [ 1 Answers ]

When replacing a load bearing wall what size lumber do I need to support a second story floor when the opening is 16ft. This wall is in the center of the house which is 24ft wide

View more questions Search