Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reicheru-006 Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
    My boyfriend says "i love you" what do I say to that?
    My boyfriend and I have been going out for a few weeks and he's saying "i love you" already. I don't mind that he's saying this and I know he's not intending on rushing things but I just don't know what to say to that. I like him so much and I think he's amazing but I don't want to say "i love you too" until I mean it with all my heart. Also, I don't want to reply "oh thats so sweet" because it sounds like I'm saying "thank you" and its also missing the 'i feel the same way about you' part. I just want to reasure him that I really like him and I'm so glad were going out. I've been trying to say how I feel but I don't think its really getting through to him. Help!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 09:30 PM
    What do you say to that. You answered your own question within your question.

Speak to him. Tell him that you really do like him and that he is amazing. Tell him that you do not want to say that back until you mean it with all your heart.

Just going out for a few weeks and already saying it. That puts you in an awkward situation. It takes time and do not rush saying it if your not ready. Sorry but saying that he loves you is rushing on things. If you do not mind he is saying that well, that is up to you right?

Actions speak louder then words. How do you treat him, what do you say to him. If it is not getting through to him, maybe he is too focused on how he feels. Does this make sense?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 18, 2008, 06:40 PM
    I would add a caution. AS A MALE, I would be suspicious of boys saying such things so quickly. It's the kind of thing a guy knows a girl usually wants to hear before she's willing to "do more" in private with him.

I know you didn't suggest this was the case. I bring it up as a warning. Simply put, at this point I would believe it to be mildly manipulative.

Also, he may mean it, and that could still be manipulative. So, you're going to have to say something. If it were me, I'd rather hear "that's sweet, thank you for saying that" than nothing at all.

If he follows it with inquiries about why you don't say it back, "Oh, is that why you said it to me, to hear me say it back? Wow, that's not very nice. I thought you said it because you meant it."
    Mr_am Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

May 18, 2008, 09:44 PM
    From the very beginning why would you date someone whom you do not love (or not sure about it)? Why wait to date before love?? Would not it be more appropriate to do things in a logical order... (Keep it simple.. do not date before you are really in love) ?
    Super Allie Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_am
    From the very begining why would you date someone whom you do not love (or not sure about it)? Why wait to date before love ??? Would not it be more appropriate to do things in a logical order ...(Keep it simple .. do not date before you are realy in love) ?
    You don't fall in love before you date someone, you fall in love with someone AFTER you start dating. How can you fall in love with someone before you really know them?
    f104 Posts: 123, Reputation: 7

May 24, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Love is means different things to different people. Saying ' I love you' is fine but it is the actions behind those words that matter.
    taylormadfresh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2010, 02:53 PM
    Honestly I was just wondering the same thing I'm just telling my boyfrieds he's amazing and so cute, of course he's going to take it as I don't love him but if he asked I would tell him the truth that I like him so much but I don't want to say it if I don't mean it.. cause then when I do mean it, it means nothing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The difference between "sex" and "love making" [ 13 Answers ]

Ok I have been answering questions on this site for just over a week now and I might add enjoyed it, but I am now interested in peoples views on the following. What is the difference between Sex and Love making? For many years I have had what I call Sex with my husband , sometimes good and...

I "Love You" but not "In Love With You" anymore... [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, A couple of days ago, my wife of the past 5+ years just dropped a total bomb on me. She told me that she wasn't "in love with me" anymore, but she still loves me, cares for me and doesn't want me to get hurt. A little history... We knew each other through other people for about...

My love and our "odd" situation; how to fix it and to get my love back? [ 7 Answers ]

We spent everyday together (from grade 9 till our last year in College). We lived next door to each other! Our friendship developed and I accidentally fell in love with him. I told him I loved him after two months of dating (we dated in College) and he said he loved me too. It was a hard...

"well I heard your boyfriend that he has a girlfriend" popular song [ 2 Answers ]

I heard this song once recently on the radio and it was towards the end, so I didn't get a lot of the lyrics... but it went something lik this: "well I heard your boyfriend, that he has a girlfriend" I know its not much, but it was a guy singing, and the style was similar to Avril...

View more questions Search