Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vcnessa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 03:00 PM
    How to tell if someone is using meth.
    Meth. Is not something I've ever experimented with. I see the effects it has on people but none of those through close friendships. I suspect my boyfriend is using something I think meth. We have been together 5 years and have 2 kids. He has always been a bit moody and sleep always been an issue. I've even suspected a possible bi-polar disorder. But recently he's not eating, sleeping, agitated easily, and seems to always be in a hurry and talks very quickly. I now suspect something else is going on. How can one tell if their parter is a user? Am I at risk by sleeping with him or being intimate with him, such as chemicals being passed through semen? Someone please help me.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2008, 03:28 PM
    He has to be tested for meth use and I can tell you, super hard to get out the system, excruciating pain and irritation so that some want to commit suicide to get rid of the 'bugs under their skin'. I can't candycoat what I have been told by meth users. The ones that have lived, that is. No you can't get anything from him by being intimiate with him. Just feel glad you are not a user and a Mom. Feel sorry for him and get him help if you really think he is a user.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 06:00 PM
    How do you suspect him of using this drug? Does he seclude himself in the house and you smell something burning? Or do you suspect him of taking pills? Just his moodyness, not sleeping, agitation, etc to me are not enough to warrant him on meth. How long has he been exhibiting any signs to you? What about money disappearing? Does he stay out with friends for days on end, etc. He could have a bipolar condition and he is just cycling - sometimes faster on some days.
    love_buggy946 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

May 16, 2008, 06:06 PM
    I was a meth user for almost 8 years. The most noticeable signs of meth use are weight loss, not being able to talk to people or slurred speech, glossy eyes, never wanting to be around people, always wanting to be alone, or on the go. The only real way to catch something with him is if he has multiple partners, which a lot of the times is an effect it has on people. The best thing I would tell you to do is to sit down and talk with him. Don't overwhelm him with questions or accuse him, just let him know that you see changes in him and you are there to help him when he is ready. Only the user can say when they are ready. I wish you lots of luck.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

May 16, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    No you can't get anything from him by being intimiate with him.

Just wanted to say something about this point that I think is very important... if he is using the drug intravenously, she is at a major risk of disease by sleeping with him. I see what she was asking, like does it (the meth itself, or some kind of chemical) come out in his body fluids. But she should be aware that lots of meth users are IV users and the risk for Hepatitis and AIDS is extremely high among IV drug users.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 17, 2008, 06:45 AM
    I actually have heard that if a meth user drinks baking soda in water, that it cleans out their system.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Sodium bicarbonate is a chemical that can be ingested, but it can also lead to poisoning in taken improperly... not sure a meth user is likely of the right mind to avoid the potential convulsions, muscle weakness, and explosive diarrhea that can come from bicarb poisoning
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Hello vc:

Drug use is a very personal thing... I can't imagine him doing this by himself and you not knowing... You must know some of his friends, or acquaintances... You must know where he goes, and what he does...

If you don't know that stuff, you don't have much of a relationship to begin with.

Frankly, it doesn't sound like a drug problem to me.

excon
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 07:45 AM
    If he was using IV to introduce meth into his system, then she would certainly know about. He would have needle marks. I do agree about the STDs but I got the impression he isn't a run about sort of person and other then the problems has a good relationship. Does not sound like someone who sleeps around shooting up meth.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Hello again:

tickle is right on. I might add, that if he's smoking it, his breath would smell like chemicals and his tongue would be coated. He wouldn't just have trouble sleeping. He wouldn't even get in bed. He'd be up days at a time, tweaking around, doing things...

Really... Here's a meth joke. It should give you a clue: How can you tell who's a tweaker in the grocery store?? He's the one with his cart upside down fixing a wheel.

excon
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    sodium bicarbonate is a chemical that can be ingested, but it can also lead to poisoning in taken improperly... not sure a meth user is likely of the right mind to avoid the potential convulsions, muscle weakness, and explosive diarrhea that can come from bicarb poisoning
    YIKES!
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Baking soda also good for non toxic cleaning of sink and good additive for your toothpaste to take stain off teeth. However, I don't like my hygeinist using it to polish after cleaning. It gets all around teeth and not a good feeling.
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

May 17, 2008, 04:55 PM
    My soon to be ex-husband was doing meth behind my back. I was a total rookie when it came to knowing the signs of any drug use, never having known anyone who did drugs. I noticed the same types of behaviors vcnessa mentioned, but also couldn't figure out why all the "stick type" pens in my house were missing the ink cartridge and my husbands face and arms were full of scabs. He tried to tell me poison ivy. I finally found aluminum foil with burn marks on it and scrapes "just the size of a pen" on it... People who do meth and have been on a binge... are the scariest people in the world. Their temper is unbelievable. Not something you want children around, let alone yourself.

Take it from someone who was swung around by her hair and lifted off the floor by the hair while he was "crashing".

Protect yourself!
    cowdough Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2009, 05:32 AM
    Perform an experiment... when you think he's high... leave the house a mess... more clutter than usual... tell him you want a nice quiet evening at home and rent some movies... now fix... like... chinese food for dinner... the whole while, making eye contact whenever possible-like you think something is up... drop little hints, like... are u okay? Or what's up with you? Stuff like that... and go to the habeeb store... local speedy mart... they sell little tiny glass tubes with little flowers in them... "crackers" use those to smoke out of... just put it on the table or shelf as a decoration... then play super dumb! Here's the catch!
    First off... "crackers" hate a mess... most of em'... he won't be able to let it go...
    Second... "crackers" have the attention span of a fruit fly... movies... sitting still... not happnin'...
    Third... FOOD TASTES LIKE CRAP!. he won't want dinner...
    Fourth... eye contact will drive him nuts, and you'll see it... he'll freak out...
    Last... when he sees the "rose vase" a.k.a. pipe laying around... lol... he'll freak... or steal it. Or both... lol...
    Either figure it out and lose the dude... if he's high... or start doing it too... or find out he isn't doing it, and its all good... if he is though... this will be the most amusing time you'll have for a long time to come... lmao...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdough View Post
    perform an experiment.....when you think he's high...leave the house a mess...more clutter than usual...tell him you want a nice quiet evening at home and rent some movies....now fix...like....chinese food for dinner...the whole while, makeing eye contact whenever possible-like you think something is up....drop little hints, like...are u okay? or what's up with you? stuff like that....and go to the habeeb store...local speedy mart...they sell little tiny glass tubes with little flowers in them...."crackers" use those to smoke out of....just put it on the table or shelf as a decoration....then play super dumb! here's the catch!
    first off...."crackers" hate a mess....most of em'....he won't be able to let it go....
    second...."crackers" have the attention span of a fruit fly...movies...sitting still...not happnin'...
    third....FOOD TASTES LIKE CRAP!!!.....he won't want dinner....
    fourth....eye contact will drive him nuts, and you'll see it...he'll freak out....
    last....when he sees the "rose vase" a.k.a. pipe laying around...lol....he'll freak...or steal it. or both....lol....
    either figure it out and lose the dude....if he's high....or start doing it too....or find out he isn't doing it, and its all good....if he is though...this will be the most amusing time you'll have for a long time to come...lmao...
    Even though this post is over a year old you still have some nifty tricks on how to catch a meth head. The little glass tubes are a real tip off same as the ink pens innards constantly missing.
    OzSocialWorker Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vcnessa View Post
    Meth. is not something I've ever experimented with. I see the effects it has on people but none of those through close friendships. I suspect my boyfriend is using something I think meth. We have been together 5 years and have 2 kids. He has always been a bit moody and sleep always been an issue. I've even suspected a possible bi-polar disorder. But recently he's not eating, sleeping, agitated easily, and seems to always be in a hurry and talks very quickly. I now suspect something else is going on. How can one tell if their parter is a user?? Am I at risk by sleeping with him or being intimate with him, such as chemicals being passed through semen? Someone please help me.

As describe by many people herein, it may be amphetamine use.. but another option may be that he is manic or psychotic.

Does he have disordered thoughts? Ie: says things to you that to him seem to make perfect sense, but action don't make sense.

Is he hearing/seeing/smelling/feeling things that aren't really there>

If he is using... you are not at risk of having any 'chemicals' passed on to you through bodiliy fluids, but if because of his suspected drug use or mania, he may be undertaking risktaking behaviour which may expose him to disease, such as blood bourne viruses, so please be mindful of this.

Keep us update, best wishes
    tn2sea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 02:00 PM
    My husband of 14 yrs is a meth head it started about 3 yrs ago I found out about it 2 yrs ago and lat me tell you it is one of the hardest things I have ever been through I now know all the signs... when he first gets high he is super nice and always on the go he talks a lot about nothing he will stay up all night cleaning the house I can never tell by the eyes if he is high or not I buy drug tsts all the time but I know what the results are before I even give the test I only do the test now when he makes me feel like I'm the one going CRAZY.Anyway he always has diarreah and vomiting when he is coming down his left leg is always moving even when he is asleep he is a real A** hole when he is coming off his high I don't know why I put up with it .It is just so hard because he is a good dad and our children love him so much I am at my wits end this drug is so evil and does a lot of damage not only to the user but everyone around
    Spyral1234 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Oct 21, 2009, 03:41 PM

Don't wonder about it , ask him to to take a drug test , I don't know if there's home drug tests for meths , but if not see your doctor you have to confront no matter how mad he gets he's the father of your kids , its not just your problem to deal with anymore

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend is addicted to meth [ 16 Answers ]

I need some help on a very difficult situation. My boyfriend is addicted to drugs. Right now it is crystal meth, before it was cocaine, crack, etc. I don't know what to do! We have been together for over 5 years and it hurts to see him like this, especially when I know how good of a man he is! (I...

Crystal meth and pregnancy [ 17 Answers ]

I was just wondering about the effects on a unborn child if the FATHER was/is an addict?? I wanted to know what, if any side effects a child could have if he used. I'm clean and have never used before, and never would!! Also, this may be a stupid question but does it have any effects on me?? We...

My husband was on meth and drank [ 3 Answers ]

This is how it began, my husband was on meth and I knew it, but when he brought into our home I told him to leave and he did . This was over a year ago. He stopped the meth about 10 months ago on his own. We always drank from time to time but not a lot. Well he is back and has been for 8 months....

Son was a meth user [ 10 Answers ]

I'll try to make this as short as I can... I put my life on hold and moved back home to take care of my mother after my father died. I was in my early 50's. I'm now almost 60. I then moved in with my son because he couldn't pay his bills and wouldn't get out of bed, I took over the house, bought...

I think my husband is on meth [ 26 Answers ]

Here are the symptoms Erratic behavior,wears sun-glasses all the time-even indoors,he seems to have aged decades,hair long and unkempt,teeth discolored,weightloss of fifty pounds or more in a few months,sometimes he seems paranoid,anger outbursts,cut himself off his family,new and strange friends...

View more questions Search