Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pompopei Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Is dedicated circuit for garbage disposal mandatory?
    I have two questions:

1) does a garbage disposal need a separate circuit?

2) if it does not, can it share the same 20 amp circuit with the dishwasher?
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 8, 2008, 01:47 PM
    I believe a dedicated is required for both units (D/W and Dis) . But Im not 100% positive on that. Would be nice if it were I think.

Mike
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 9, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Home or commercial use?

No, I disagree.

1) You may not attach a disposal to either of the two mandatoy 20 Amp branch circuits designated for the kitchen counters.

2) You may attach a disposal to a general lighting branch circuit or a individual branch circuits.

15 Amp should be sufficient but 20 amp may help smooth out the motor operation.

I can't find the code cites but I will look for them.
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 9, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf

No, I disagree.

1) You may not attach a disposal to either of the two mandatoy 20 Amp branch circuits designated for the kitchen counters.

2) You may attach a disposal to a general lighting branch circuit or a individual branch circuits.

15 Amp should be sufficient but 20 amp may help smooth out the motor operation.

I can't find the code cites but I will look for them.
    Don... He never said he was attaching it to a plug at the counter for power.

I think both should be on separate circuit. Dishwasher and Disposal.

It is highly recommended from what I gather
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 9, 2008, 05:17 PM
    It is even more common to have the disp and DW on a shared 20A circuit.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 9, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Stan,

Thanks, no kidding, I just found the code section I was looking for.

I agree that the FD and the DW can exist on the same outlet, if they are using cord attachment. The can also co-exist on a shared 20 amp branch circuit, from the CB to junction box and then hardwired to the appliances.

However, according to 210.52(B) (2) also states what can be on either of the mandatory two 20 amp Branch Circuits.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

May 9, 2008, 11:48 PM
    Read the manufactures instructions. It may be a requirement to have them on dedicated circuits per NEC 110.3.

With today's appliances pulling over 10 apms, I would dedicate the dishwasher and disposal.
    pompopei Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Thanks everyone very much for help. I decided to dedicate a 20-amp circuit to DW and another 15 amp to disposal to be on the safe side. Problem is, I ran out of slots in the panel for other needs. But that will be tomorrow's problem. Thanks a lot.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 10, 2008, 05:33 PM
    They do make a double breaker that fits in 1 space. They can't share a neutral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trace a dedicated electrical circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Here it is! I have a time clock at work for the emplyees which is getting power from an outlet. I want to make sure the clock is not sharing power with other outlets I want to find out without shutting power off to time clock (unpluggint it) Thank you DAN:

Dedicated circuit for refrigerator [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. My refrigerator is on a circuit that is protected by a GFCI. It is on the same circuit that protects the electrical around the kitchen sink. I would like to place it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The wall space behind the frig backs up to the plumbing for the bathroom shower and the...

Garbage disposal [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to clean the garbage disposal? Sometimes I put in a lemon but it really doesn't seem to work well enough. Any products for eating away the gunk?

Garbage disposal [ 5 Answers ]

I had a garbage disposal installed in my kitchen by a plumber. Sometime when we put garbage in and turn it on it shoots out the other drain and comes up into the other sink basin. My guess is that too much garbage is being put inthere at one time and shoots it across. Also, the instructions say to...

View more questions Search