Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mim Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Checking the history if the history has been deleted
    I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted?
    Thanks in advance.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 21, 2006, 11:17 AM
    There is a hidden file called Index.dat that lists all the site that have been visited.
    THe main draw back of this file is that it isn't very user readable as it contains lots of what looks like gibberish.
    There are readers out there that enable close inspection.

Problem is there are also apps that delete the contents of this file rendering it useless in this case.

Hope this helps a little.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Another problem with using index.dat is you probably won't be able to tell WHO visited the site, just that the PC was used to do so. Some visits may not be intentional. Someone could have clicked a link inadvertently which access a site. You might also see entries there where the site was not actually visited but a cookie set for it.

If you are really worried about where the family is surfing, then supervise.
    africanprincessasia Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Sep 24, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mim
    I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted?
    Thanx in advance.
    Go to your address bar and click down

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

History [ 2 Answers ]

Nezahualcoyolt was considered an outstanding leader for all of the following except:

History! [ 3 Answers ]

Ananda Pillai's description of the Christian's dinner party pointed to which wrongdoing of the host? A - He tried to convert guests to Christianity. B - He served European food only. C - He invited members of other religions although he was a convert. D - He invited members of all levels of...

History - WW2 [ 2 Answers ]

when did the americans join in the war

History 17b [ 1 Answers ]

What was impact of the urbanization of america on society and our industrial growth

View more questions Search