Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kateyes66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Neighbor's kids causing damage and trespassing in my yard
    For about the last year, my neighbor's kids and their friends have been playing in our yard, hitting our home over and over with their toys and causing damage to one of our trees, a young maple tree, by breaking off the branches. I didn't say much when it first started happening because I didn't want to cause friction between us. It hasn't stopped, so within the last several months, I asked the kids to stop hitting our house, to leave our tree alone and asked them to go play in their own yard, and also talked to their mother several times. Nothing is working. The only response I get from the mother is "i'll do my best to keep them out of your yard", but she never does. I feel like both the mother and the kids are ignoring me. Any suggestions please, legal or otherwise?
    Pedro Depacas Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Always the ugly course call the police and get a report written so if they do it again you can take legal action in court proving that they have record, and really create an ugly scene, or forgo that last case scenario and do the most difficult act. Being brutally assertive and let them know your reaching that limit. I can't think of another option, on one of the spectrum you have kids in your yard wrecking your house and tree, and on the other you have the legal system in the middle; although its rough to, you have strong confrontation, but it's the lesser of three evils
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 10:28 PM
    It depends on the age of the kids. Once a 6-year-old neighbor boy was throwing mud clods at my house (not the first time.) I gave him a bucket of soapy water, a sponge and a hose and told him to clean it up. That worked, restitution is the only thing that gets the attention of some kids.

What is the cost of replacing the tree? The mother may listen if you ask her to replace it with a healthy one. Kids attack plants and other people's houses when the are not taught to respect living things (which includes you.) Get all over it. Don't just ask them when you see the behavior. Watch for it and walk right out there and tell them off. If they can't get away with it, they'll find somewhere else to play.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 11:22 PM
    I don't know how old the children are, but around where I live, if you do post signs in a couple of places on your property that state "No Trespassing" we have more clout with the legal recourse. Also, when I had some nasty kids around who would break people's basement windows and stick hoses with running water in them, roll tires down the steep and very busy, long street throw mud clots at a neighbor's home using the mud from one of my gardens, etc. I found that acting like I was taking real pictures of them or actually taking pictures of them and then saying something like, "There's the evidence!" Or, "Now, I have the proof!", to be a pretty effective deterrent.
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

May 2, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Id say post a no tresspassing sign when the kids come on your property give the mom one last warning saying you put up a sign if the kids go on the property again you'll take legal action. If the kids go on your property again take legal action either sue for damages , or make your nabour go halfers for a fence to be put up something !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2008, 10:10 AM
    What is the damage to the home, go over and ask the neighbor to pay for them, since it is still happening,
    You may sue them for the damages. And of course calling the police is a good option.

The other family is not respecting your property and are not teaching their children right from wrong most obvously.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Can you install a fence to deter the activity? If you must get into police or legal action, you will prob have problems with that neighbor for a long time (retribution, false accusations etc). I know people who have and have had neighbor problems and it affects their lives everyday. If they can't or won't control their kids, I would control the ability of the kids getting on my property, some way. If you declare war, the kids will get bigger and think up more dastardly pranks. I know when I started to have problems with kids throwing drainage rocks into my yard, I put a screen material over the rocks so they couldn't get them. I try physical barriers before making it a big fight. If police and legal is the only option, OK but try to consider other remedies first. Good luck to you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2008, 11:07 AM
    I would first write a letter to the mother stating what you have already told her verbally. Let her know that this behaviour is unacceptable and that you won't tolerate it anymore. Also let her know that if the kids come on your property one more time then you will get the police involved. List the damages you have incurred and the price to fix what has been damaged. Maybe a written document will show her that you are serious about this.

Good Luck.
    liverpool75 Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Sorry for your trouble but it sounds to me that you're a bit of a pushover.I have 3 kids when there doing something wrong and correct them softly they would still of do it again,but if I raise my voice they stop.you have to be more a vocally aggressive instead of asking them and the mother tell them and warn them off that next time you will call the cops.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 13, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Two words... Guard dog.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 03:58 PM
    blackblue, this thread was started in May and the OP hasn't been back since.
    muddy_4d Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 02:43 PM
    I have the same problem with BOTH of my neighbors not only are their kids horrible but get this their dogs have even caused property damage. Today the neighbors on our left their dog jumped the fence and attacked our 15 year husky retriever mix who is defenseless due to his age. The neighbors to our right their kid punched our brand new $3000 LCD TV about 2 years ago and their parents don't even raise their voices. I am at wits end we called animal control today and had them pick up the neighbors dog now of course they are mad at us. We r trapped in hell between the house being under renovation and the economy we can possibly move so the war is on. No trespassing signs are going up, the police will be called from now on, we are tired of broken solar lights ( has happened more than once and both neighbors blame the other neighbors kids) and squished plants and flowers. We are seriously considering purchasing a dog trap and/or landmines hopefully this helps some of you others out there feel a little better about your situation if anyone has any recommendations id love to hear them its to the point where I'm going to end up in jail for burning 2 houses down after nailing all the doors and windows shut...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor's dog peeing in our yard, Is it acceptable? [ 28 Answers ]

I came into this situation and before I do something out of rage, I needed to know your opinions. I have a big yard, and it extends to a sidewalk and then grass and an oak tree. All the property belongs to us (the design is same for all houses here). My neighbor brings his dog out, and today...

How to keep neighbor's dog and puppies out of my yard and flower beds? [ 14 Answers ]

I live in a small town with no leash laws, and no animal control. In my area, the houses are quite close to each other. The next door neighbors' mama dog and 3 puppies have taken up residence in my flower bed and yard. Not only are they destroying the beds and killing the grass - there's the...

How to stop neighbor's dogs from eating way into my yard? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a problem I need some input. I live in a leased townhome in Texas. I am the owner of two small dogs... Schipperrke and Min-pin. My neighbor has three dogs... 2 Pit Bulls and a Golden Ret (grown). We have ten foot wooden fences around our backyards. When my dogs go into the yard, the 3...

Generator causing appliance damage [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 5500 watt generator and have a reliance switching system setup with 8 switches. When I hook up my generator to my house, it blows out ceiling fans, lights and bathroom fans. The lights are extremely bright. I am getting way too much power. This does not happen if I plug directly...

Disciplining neighbor's kids [ 7 Answers ]

We have two kids 8 and 10; our next door neighbors have 3 kids: 7, 9, 11. In the past, they have played a lot together with minimal altercations. Recently, however, we noticed some bullying behavior from the neighbor's kids to my youngest child. One evening, my husband caught them in the act of...

View more questions Search