Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LJB2006 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2006, 11:32 AM
    Correct Alphabetizing Practice
    My boss is telling me that it is not correct to file "Mc" in front of the "M's" in other words before "Ma". I always thought it was a rule. Does anyone know the correct rule?

Thank You.:confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2006, 12:40 PM
    I don't know of a formal rule, but per my white pages business section, your boss is correct.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Below link shows rules, down the page a bit

"Treat Mc and Mac literally; Mac comes before Mc. "

Unfortunately, boss is right (don't'cha hate that)

http://www.chss.montclair.edu/psycho...crib-sheet.htm
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2006, 07:40 AM
    Hi,
    Your boss is right.
    Filing generally follows alphabetically filing rules.
    As your question says, the "Ma" comes before "Mc", where the "a" comes before the "c".
    In that way, anyone who tries finding something in an extensive file, knows everything is alphabetized. You might not be the only one using the files.
    GlasgowSpaniel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LJB2006
    My boss is telling me that it is not correct to file "Mc" in front of the "M's" in other words before "Ma". I always thought it was a rule. Does anyone know the correct rule?

Thank You.:confused:
    Mac and Mc are treated as being the same, the position coming from the next letter in the name. Mac and Mc are filed before simple M names.
    Weggieb3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 08:23 AM
    How do you file M's & Mc's in a file cabinet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Another Alphabetizing Question -- Company Names [ 8 Answers ]

When alphabetizing, what’s the ruling for initials in a company name? Example: In what order should the following company names be listed? C.L. Baker Company Chemical A Company C.C. Keller & Associates CFM Systems C. P. McNamara Thanks.

Will I be able to practice? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm just finishing my first year of law school, and am kind of embarrassed to ask this. I entered a debt settlement company, and they were lousy. I now have three accounts left, and with interest they are now in upwards of $30,000. I'm leaving the company, but the three account left are with...

A-1 Photography Practice Set [ 0 Answers ]

I need help with the A-1 photography practice set. I don't even know where to start. Has anyone done it?

Is This Correct? [ 13 Answers ]

Could someone tell me if I have these correct and if not what'd I do wrong. Thank you. January 8 Purchased a one-year insurance policy, effective February 1, for $3,360. Debit: Insurance Expense Credit: Prepaid Insurance Completed several consulting jobs, which totaled $52,000. Cash of...

View more questions Search