Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    verhoff Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Replacing Power Vent Water Heater
    I recently bought a house and it has a power vent style water heater that I need to replace. The fan and vent seem to be in working condition. My question... since these style heaters are twice the price can I buy just a regular gas water heater and transfer the power vent from the old one? Thanks for your time, Dennis
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Hey Dennis:

NICE TRY! You only wish you could... ;)

I am afraid that the two systems are not compatible. The power vent system is really an entirely different breed of animal compared to a regular water heater.

The primary reason has to do with the control system... all kinds of electronics are under the jacket of the power vented heater... you just can't see them. A regular gas water heater requires no electricity whatsoever.

Sorry to bear the bad news... Good luck... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Power Vent Rheem Hot Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Rheem Power Vent hot water heater, model 21VP40-1. My problem is that it will not stay lit on the final start up stage. It operates OK, stays lit, if turned on manualy on the unit. I have replaced the gas valve. I am leaning toward the control module. Any advice?

View more questions Search