Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morzh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Jeep Cherokee 92 A/C clutch won't engage
    Hi.
    My A/C stopped working one day. I troubleshot it with a meter (I am an EE).
    Once I short the relay contacts the clutch will engage, which means, that the Low pressure switch and everythin that is in series with the clutch relay contact group is OK.
    Now the relay coil is hooked up to 12V via some switches (possibly - for whatever reason Chilton sch for 92 does not show how the A/C hooked up so I use the similar sch for RENIX controller), and they are also OK, as when I hook up the ralay and Ground the GND coil pin - relay clicks.
    WHich means that the GND path for the relay is not there. It is provided by the output of the ECM (the computer).

So, the computer gets the A/C requests from the "Cycle Switch" (the temp sensor, thermostat, or what you call it).

Which leaves two likely culprits: the ECM module and the thermostat switch.

Also, when choosing AC on the dashboard, I do not hear idle RPM going up (I think it should), which tells me there is no A/C request being processed.
    Again, could be either switch or the ECM module.

Now what I do not know is this: I have zero idea where either one is located and how either one looks.

Chilton is not very helpful either. So if anyone can guide me where to find those ECM and thermostat switch, or anyone has a photo of them, or can descrine the exact procedure for Cherokee 92 (not Grand Cherokee - the regular Cherokee Laredo 92, inline 6, 4.0 Liters, 4 doors, 4x4) - I'd be eternally grateful.

Mike
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Apr 27, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Mike,

Your best bet is to drop $10 on a one-week subscription to eautorepair (Mitchell On Demand) and download the entire diagnostic procedure and all the wiring diagrams and component locations. Click here: Eautorepair

Apr 28, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Rick,

Thanks a lot. I will give it a try.

Mike
    Vernon Laitinen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Mike, Are you sure the system has good freon charge? If you've sprung a leak,compressor will not engage. Vern

May 31, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Vernon

Thanks for answering.

I was able to procure the real Jeep Cherokee 92 schematics (Chilton/Hanes admitted they did not put the A/C clutch wiring in their manual for 92 model and sent me the extra pages); prior to this I use some 80-s models and they happen to have the Low Pressure switch in the contacts group of the clutch relay. So I was undre impression that the pressure was OK.

However the real schematic does show that for 92 Cherokee Lop Pressure switch is indeed in the Clutch Relay control coil circuit. So the fact that clutch does not engage does point to thet Low Freon Charge as the main possible culprit.

I plan visiting A/C shop soon to pinpoint the leak and re-charge the system.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 12:26 PM
    There is also a gray ten pin connector on the located on the left fender shield that could be corroded or loose.

Name:  1a.gif
Views: 3736
Size:  27.2 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 Jeep cherokee [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 93 jeep cherokee 4 liter, 6 cylinder. The problem is when I fill the tank past 3/4 full or let it dip below 1/4 and the weather is above 70 degrees it wants to stall out on me upon acceleration. Ive taken it to numerous mechanics who test the pump and lines and can find no problems. ...

1988 jeep cherokee [ 2 Answers ]

For some reason my truck those not what start at all I turn the key and nothing happens I have full power and sometimes if I mess with the gears I put it on N then back to P and then P, I do that for a couple of times and then turn the key it turns on if its on N.then I turn it off I try to turn...

88 Jeep Cherokee Transmission [ 2 Answers ]

My son has an 88 Jeep Cherokee, Automatic 4X4. The reverse just went out in it. Goes in to drive OK, but nothing in reverse, I assume it's the transmission. My question is how safe is it for him to drive until he can get it fixed? I believe all the parts inside the transmission are different...

View more questions Search